Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Cranberry Sauce
When I was growing up Sour Patch Kids were my candy of choice. I loved how that candy combined sweet with sour. That’s probably why as an adult cranberries are one of my favorites. I also love making holiday dishes with that pop of beautiful red color. Here the cranberries give me a sweet reminder of my childhood candy, but in a way that is a million times healthier! I found this recipe originally from marthastewart.com, but I cleaned it up and made it out of whole foods making it both Whole30 and Paleo friendly. Its the perfect side for your upcoming holiday dinner…ENJOY!
Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Cranberry Sauce
2-3 lbs brussels sprouts
1 T extra virgin olive oil
2 dates, pitted
6 oz fresh cranberries
1 T finely grated ginger
1 T finely grated orange zest
3 T ghee
3 green onions, finely chopped
1 T fresh thyme, chopped
1. Toss brussels sprouts with oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast on a baking sheet at 400 deg F for 40 minutes until sprouts are tender and starting to brown.
2. While brussels are cooking, put dates in a small cup, cover dates with water and microwave for 1 min. Remove dates and smash or chop with a knife into small pieces.
3. In a saucepan combine dates, cranberries, ginger, orange zest, and add enough water to cover bottom of pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cranberries break down and thicken.
4. In a small skillet melt ghee and add the onion. When the mixture becomes fragrant stir in with the cranberry sauce.
5. Toss brussels sprouts with the cranberry sauce. Season with salt and fresh thyme.
Happy holidays everyone!