Today I’m sharing a yummy recipe that is great for busy moms, or days that are particularly busy and a fast meal is needed. This crockpot cashew chicken with cauli-rice is simply delicious you will forget you’re even missing the rice. This crockpot chicken reminds me of fall, with a yummy scent in the house and the crisp air. This hearty meal is sure to please the entire family!
Be sure to check out AJ’s instagram for tons of healthy Whole 30 dinner & snack ideas! You will be so glad you did!
This is also great served with broccoli or a side of sautéed strips of garden vegetables.
(Makes 3-4 servings)
– 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1″ pieces
– 1/3 cup arrowroot starch
– 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
– 1/2 cup olive or coconut oil
– 1/2 cup coconut aminos
– 1/4 cup rice vinegar
– 2 T apple cider vinegar
– 1/2 cup natural pineapple juice
– 8 pitted dates
– 3 T sesame oil
– 1/2 tsp cayenne
– 1/2 tsp ground ginger
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– 3/4 cup cashews
– Green onions and sesame seeds for garnishing
How to prep for the crockpot:
– Place the dates in 1/4 cup hot water to soak while you are cooking.
– Heat oil in a skillet.
– Place the chicken pieces in a ziplock bag with the arrowroot starch and salt and pepper, shake until all of the chicken pieces are coated.
– Cook chicken in the skillet for 2-3 minutes on each side until browned. You don’t have to worry about the pieces being cooked through cause they’ll get there in the crockpot; this is just to give them a little coating before slow cooking.
– Mix all of the other ingredients – coconut aminos, vinegars, pineapple juice, sesame oil, cayenne, ginger, garlic – in the crockpot.
– Blend the soaked dates (including the water they were in) in the food processor or blender until they make a paste. It’s okay if there’s still little chunks of date. Add that to the crockpot and mix.
– Put the chicken pieces into the sauce in the crockpot
– Cook on low for 3-4 hours. The sauce will get nice and thick and flavorful! Add cashews when done cooking.
– Serve over cauli-rice and top with green onions and sesame seeds.
– Half a head of cauliflower
– Oil of choice
– Salt & pepper
– Garlic powder (or other seasonings you like)
How to make:
– Preheat oven to 400 F
– Chop the cauliflower into florets, then pulse in a food processor or blender until pieces are about the size of rice grains.
– Grease a baking sheet and spread cauliflower rice in a thin layer, sprinkling seasonings on the top.
– Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through.
Just threw this in the crockpot and excited to taste it when it is done! I think my boys will like it … And the cauliflower rice is brilliant- esp. baking it! Thanks for the recipe .. I’ll be posting the results!
[…] Cashew Chicken: http://momsbestnetwork.com/crockpot-cashew-chicken-with-cauliflower-rice/ […]
This is one of my favorite recipes, both on and off Whole30! I like to add red bell peppers also.
It doesn’t specify what to do with the olive or coconut oil???